Dragas Hall Renovation (Formerly Hughes Hall)
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
Originally constructed on the campus in 1959, our firm served as Structural Engineer of Record and Special Inspector for the renovation of this notable 48,740 square foot building situated at the corner of Hampton Boulevard and 49th Street. Dragas Hall houses the Computer Science faculty offices and classrooms. This project and the adjacent Visual Arts Building (also designed by our firm) will be connected by a two-story addition in the near future.
This $5.2 million renovation included upgrading the elevator, renovating the restrooms, replacing building systems, adding a new grand entrance and reconfiguring the second floor interior spaces to accommodate academic program needs including faculty/support offices, classrooms and labs, and several administration offices. The roof, exterior walls, and lobby areas were renovated or repaired.
Renovations include the first floor to comply with ADA guidelines, renovation of the second floor to reconfigure interior partitions, new elevators, mechanical system, sprinkler system, and the addition of skylights on the roof. The exterior changes blend the building with the surrounding architecture on the campus. The existing solar block screen and storefronts that encased the building were replaced with brick veneer to match the campus and a new curtain wall façade.
The Hampton Roads Association for Commercial Real Estate (HRACRE) awarded the project the “Best Historical Renovation” project in 2011.
Image © Tymoff + Moss Architects